LIU Update: Visit here for more information.

Applying for Graduation

All students must apply for their degree when they enroll in their final semester of coursework.  Students should apply online in the Student Portal ( by following these simple steps: 
  • Go to Self-Service and select “Degree Progress/Graduation”
  • Select “Apply for Graduation” and follow the instructions

Eligible students who fail to apply for graduation by the deadline, or who apply late, run the risk of not having their names included in the commencement program. Eligible students who file their degree applications after the specified graduation filing date as specified in the Academic Calendar may have their degree awarded at the next conferral date. Any student submitting a degree application after the last day of regular classes (excluding Final Exam week) will not be considered for graduation that term, but for the next conferral date. There are no exceptions to this policy.

If students fail to meet all academic requirements for graduation, they are responsible for reapplying on line for the next anticipated date of graduation.

Students applying after the application deadline, or those who have any difficulty applying on line can Download the Application for Degree in PDF format.  The form can be hand-delivered to Enrollment Services in Kumble Hall; faxed to 516-299-2330; emailed to or mailed to: Office of the Enrollment Services, LIU Post, 720 Northern Boulevard, Brookville, NY 11548.

Deadlines for applying for your degree
Last Semester Attended Application Deadline Conferral Date
Fall term 2nd Friday in October Third Friday in January
Spring term 1st Friday in February Third Friday in May
Summer term
2nd Friday in July Third Friday in September

Frequently Asked Questions about Diplomas

1. When will my diploma be available?

  • Diplomas are typically available six-eight weeks after degree conferral.

2. If there is an error on my diploma, how can I secure a replacement?

In order to secure a replacement diploma, the original diploma must be returned to the office in person or via mail to the Office of the Registrar. The Office will contact you when the diploma is received. It generally takes 1 - 2 weeks to print a new diploma.

3. Can I change the name that will appear on my diploma?

Yes, but a name can only be changed before your degree has been conferred. At the bottom of the "Application for Degree," you should fill in the reason for your name change. This must be submitted with supporting documentation (such as a court order or a marriage certificate). Both the application for degree and the copy of the official documentation must be notarized. Once your degree has been conferred, the name that appears on your diploma cannot be changed; the diploma must bear the name under which your degree was issued.

4. What are the procedures for ordering a replacement diploma?

Replacement Diplomas: If you need to order a replacement diploma, download a copy of the "Diploma Replacement" form and return it to Enrollment Services along with a check for $35. You may pay by check or money order (payable to Long Island University), or credit card (MasterCard, VISA or Discover). Please attach the fee and return it along with the application form by U.S. mail to the Office of the Registrar. Indicate whether you wish your new diploma to be mailed or picked up at Enrollment Serivces. If you elect to have your diploma mailed, we will send it by Certified U.S. Mail, so please be sure to supply an address at which someone will be available to sign for the delivery of your package during the day. Please note that diploma processing usually takes approximately 2 weeks from the time your form is received.

Note: Your new diploma will: 1) Bear the date of the original, but will be signed by the current administrators of the University and your School/College dean; 2) Must bear the name under which your degree was issued; 3) be issued in the form in current use and may not exactly match your original diploma.

5. In case of a move, how do I obtain my diploma?

In case of a change of address (within the USA and internationally), you must notify the Diploma Facilitator at the Office of the Registrar of your new address in person, via U.S. mail or through e-mail to In your letter, indicate you wish to have your diploma mailed to the new address. When diplomas are in the process of being mailed, your diploma will be mailed to the address ONLY in the system unless there is other written authorization to send the diploma to another address.


LIU Brentwood


Enrollment Services


Phone: 631-287-8500