Online learning does not require a high level of technological sophistication. Students need a basic computer, a high-speed Internet connection, and a standard web browser to log on and attend class.
Online courses at Long Island University involve extensive interaction with technology that is supported by the Internet. In order to have the best possible online learning experience, your computer or laptop must meet certain minimum hardware and software requirements.
Students are expected to be proficient and able to perform basic computer functions including e-mail, internet browsing, download/installation of software, word processing, file saving, file management, and backup.
PC/Mac Hardware Requirements:
- 256 MB of RAM
- 3 GB of Available Hard Disk Space
- Broadband Access (Cable Modem/DSL)
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP / Vista / 7 (PC)
- Mac OSX 10.5 or greater (Mac)
- Microsoft Office 2000 or greater (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Acrobat Reader (to read .PDF documents) - Free Download
- Anti-Virus Software*
*The HSMI supports the belief that all users (both PC and Mac) actively connected to the internet should maintain proper anti-virus protection with a program such as McAfee or Norton.
- Firefox Browser (PC/Mac) 3.6 or greater - Free Download
- SUN Java Runtime Environment (JRE) (for PC users only) - Free Download
- Quicktime (for PC users only) - Free Download
- Windows Media Components for Quicktime (for Mac users only) - Free Download
Prospective students with questions or concerns regarding these computer requirements should speak with an Admissions Counselor before applying to the HSMI program.
If you have any questions about technology requirements, please contact us.