Teacher Certification Requirements
In order to be eligible for initial teacher certification in Childhood Education (Grades 1-6) via institutional recommendation, students must complete the following requirements as outlined by the New York State Education Department.
Initial Certification is the minimum certification required to teach in New York State. The entry-level certificate is valid for 5 years and is issued in a specific subject and/or grade level. Initial Certification leads to the Professional Certificate. After three years of professional teaching experience, you can apply for the Professional Certificate to continue to be certified in New York State. All teacher-training bachelor's and master's programs at LIU Riverhead lead to Initial Certification.
Professional Certification is required to continue teaching in New York State. This advanced-level certificate is continuously valid with completion of New York State-required professional development hours on a 5-year cycle.
Current LIU Riverhead students should contact the Education Program Office, 631-287-8214, for certification application instructions and requirements.
Requirements for New York State Certification (Institutional Recommendation)
B.S. in Childhood Education (Grades 1 to 6)
- Completion of the approved degree program
- Students must pass the following New York State Teacher Certification Examinations:
- Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST)
- Elementary Assessment of Teaching Skills (AST-W)
- Content Specialty Test (CST) - Multi-Subject
For complete information about the New York State Teacher Certification Exams, visit the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations Web site.
- Students must complete the following workshops:
- School Violence Prevention and Intervention Workshop (Project S.A.V.E.)
- Child Abuse Identification Workshop
- In order to student teach or receive your New York State teaching certificate or apply for employment in a school district, charter school or boards of cooperative educational services (BOCES), New York State requires you to satisfy a Fingerprint Investigation for a criminal history background check. You must complete the fingerprinting process prior to student teaching. Visit the "Fingerprinting" section of the New York State Education Department Web site for more information and directions on how to apply.
See Teaching Certification Requirements for details.