Applicants to M.S. in Literacy Education program must meet the following requirements for admission.
1. Application for Admission (online or paper version)
2. A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. The degree should include content major or concentration (minimum 30 credits) and a strong liberal arts and science background that meet New York State Education Department criteria. Applicants to M.S. in Literacy Education programs should hold initial New York State teaching certification in areas other than literacy education.
3. Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended. Submit official college transcripts to:
Office of Admissions
121 Speonk-Riverhead Road – LIU Bldg.
Riverhead, N.Y. 11901
4. Grade point average of 2.75. This average may be computed from the total undergraduate record or on the last 60 hours of study.
5. One letter of recommendation from a professional in the field of education, psychology, or related disciplines which supports the student's request for admission, and addresses the student's academic skills and personal attributes, strengths and/or weaknesses.
6. Complete an on-site writing sample. Students are asked to respond to a statement. There is no correct or incorrect response to this requirement. The response will be evaluated on the following criteria:
•Extent to which your argument is developed and supported
•Logical organization and development of the central idea
•Paragraph organization and construction
•Freedom from errors in mechanics and usage
7. Schedule an appointment with the Office of Admissions for an interview. Please contact us at 631-287-8010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.