Contact Us

Academic Regulations


Newly admitted students to the graduate programs should closely follow the registration procedures provided to them. It is highly recommended that they consult with the Program Director about course selection, and work with the Coordinator of Graduate Programs and the Program Director to learn the specific requirements of the selected program.

Registration beyond the first semester de on satisfactory progress in fulfilling college graduate programs’ conditions. For further information about grade requirements, see the section “Academic Standards”. Students not fulfilling the requirements should make an appointment with the Program Director before registering for courses in order to obtain approval and update the progression worksheet maintained in the Office of Graduate Studies.

During the period of late registration (se academic calendar), a student may register with the consent of the college’s Coordinator of Graduate Programs. After this period, consent of the Associate Dean is required.

Student Responsibility

The student is responsible for knowing deadlines, degree requirements, and enrolling for courses listed under the degree program. The student is held responsible for knowing the university regulations with regard to the standard of work required for continuance in the graduate program. For additional information students should consult with the Office of Graduate Programs.

Change of Plan

A student desiring to transfer from one L Pharmacy graduate program to another must be formally accepted by the Program Director of the graduate program to which admission is sought
and by the Associate Dean of the College. The student is expected to notify the Program Director of the program that he or she is leaving.

Cancellation of Courses

LIU Pharmacy reserves the right to cancel undersubscribed courses or courses for which no faculty are available to teach. When it does so, there is no program change fee.

Maintenance of Matriculation

It is expected that students will fulfill the requirements for advanced degrees by registering over successive semesters. Degree candidates may find themselves unable to register for courses during one or more semesters, or to complete all course work because they are working on their thesis. To remain on an active status and to qualify for a degree under the requirements in effect when admitted, such students must register each semester by writing “Maintenance of Matriculation” on the registration form and paying a $250 fee for each such semester. A student who fails to register under “Maintenance of Matriculation” will be classified as inactive. Re- admission will require the submission of a new application for admission and a review of the student’s record and qualifications with respect to the requirements for admission in effect at the time of readmission.

Students serving in the Armed Forces of United States maintain matriculation automatically during the time of their service. They are required, however, to inform the Office of Graduate Studies of the dates of their entrance into military service and termination of active duty.

Maintenance of matriculation without attending classes is limited to one year. Approval for extension of this time limit must be obtained from the Associate Dean or a designated representative.

The above information on maintenance o matriculation does not apply to Ph.D. candidates who have begun work on their doctoral dissertation.

Withdrawal and Refund

Withdrawal from Courses

Students who fail to withdraw officially course by the date so indicated by the Office of Graduate Studies, and do not attend and/or meet the course requirements have, in fact, earned an “F,” and will receive that grade designation. The grade “W” will be given to students who are in compliance with official withdrawal procedures. Students themselves must initiate formal withdrawal procedures. Failure to do so can result in loss of possible refunds or inaccurate records of academic performance (or both). Students must obtain a Withdrawal Form from the Office of Graduate Studies and have this form signed by the instructor of the course(s) concerned.

A student who wishes to withdraw from College should notify the Office of Graduate Studies in writing. Otherwise, honorable dismissal will be withheld. No certificate or transcript of record will be granted, however, until all financial indebtedness is settled. If a student withdraws from the College prior to the completion of a semester, he or she must file the appropriate Withdrawal Form with the Registrar.

A student who withdraws from a course which he or she is doing satisfactory work will be given the grade W. A student registered for a course is considered to be in attendance until the date of his or her official withdrawal.

Withdrawal from courses is permissible time up to deadline established by the Office of Graduate Studies, but a student who is doing failing work when he or she requests authorization to withdraw may be given the grade WF. The symbol UW is assigned when a student unofficially withdraws from a course. Neither WF nor UW is computed in the student’s average. Students who are on academic probation they withdraw from all courses are not eligible for readmission without their Dean’s approval.

Withdrawal to Enter the Armed Forces

Students withdrawing to enter into the Armed Services should note carefully the following regulations outlining the position of the College with regard to such withdrawal:

  1. Application for withdrawal in good standing must be made at the Office of the Registrar. The official date of withdrawal is the date on which the application is made.
  2. Students may receive a proportionate refund.
  3. Specific policies may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.


When a student withdraws, the University will refund tuition according to the schedule shown on the pages following Tuition and Fees listings.

Registration, graduation and university f not subject to proration and are not returnable.

Date of withdrawal will be considered th on which the student has completed all Withdrawal Forms and has submitted these forms to the Office of the Registrar.

A student may be dismissed at any time misconduct of such a nature as to be prejudicial to the College. In the event of such dismissal, fees will not be refunded in whole or in part.


Credit is granted for courses completed grade A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, or C. The F grade signifies failure. P (passed for credit) may be used to mark completion of work in certain research practicums, seminars, workshops and thesis courses.

INC (incomplete) may be used as an inte grade for the first half of a two-semester course, for failure to complete all course requirements, and for thesis courses before acceptance of the thesis. Any other failure to complete the course requirements (e.g., the submission of a term paper) may be recorded as INC. Absence from the final examination will be recorded as ABS. Except in thesis courses, grades INC or ABS that have not been replaced by a letter grade within one year may be changed only by repeating the course.

A student may not repeat a course withou permission of his or her Program Advisor and/or the Associate Dean. If a student, with appropriate permission, repeats a course more than once, all grades except the first will be computed in the student’s average. Satisfactory completion of the course does not eliminate the original INC or ABS yfrom the student’s record.

NGR is a temporary mark when no grade been submitted. AUD recognizes that a course has been audited.

The symbol W is assigned when students officially withdraw from a course in which they were doing satisfactory work. The symbol UW is assigned when students unofficially withdraw from a course. The UW is not computed in the student’s average.

The College’s grade-point average is employed to determine the average grade status of a student. The grade A corresponds to a 4.000 quality point equivalent, A- to 3.667, B+ to 3.333, B to 3.000, B- to 2.667, C+ to 2.333, C to 2.000 and F to 0.000. P, INC, ABS, W and UW grades do not affect the grade point average.

The quality points to which a student is entitled are computed by the formula X = N x Y, where X is the number of quality points, N the quality point equivalent assigned to the grade, and Y the number of credits. The grade point average is obtained by dividing the sum of the quality points received in all courses by the total number of credits, including unrepeated F’s.

Grade point average computations are ca to the third decimal place from which rounding takes place to the second decimal place. For example, a computed grade point average of 2.994 will be rounded down to 2.990. A computed grade point average of 2.995 will be rounded up to 3.000. On all official LIU transcripts, a grade point average will be displayed to three decimal places with the third decimal place always being zero due to rounding.

Repeating Courses

Students may repeat any course with the permission of their advisers. To repeat a course more than once, they must have permission of the Program Director and Associate Dean. Credit will be earned only once, and the second grade—whether higher or lower—will be
computed in the student’s average. After a student takes a course a second time, all grades except the first will be computed in the student’s average.

Academic Standards

The College reserves the right to dismiss, time, a student whose academic record is unsatisfactory. To be in good academic standing, a student must make appropriate progress toward fulfilling all requirements of the graduate program (M.S. or Ph.D.) in which he/she is enrolled. Failure to do so will be cause for dismissal. Academic probation is the initial official act for a student failing to make satisfactory progress. Students will be duly notified by the Program Director that they have been placed on probation.

A graduate student will be placed on probation for:

  1. failure to maintain an overall cumulative grade- point average (G.P.A.) of 3.000 and/or,
  2. earning a grade of C+ (or less) in more than two courses (these courses may be repeated with the permission of the Program Director and Associate Dean).

A graduate student will be dismissed fro program for:

  1. failure to rectify probationary status (i.e., obtaining G.P.A. of 3.000 within two semesters.
  2. receiving “F” grade in any course.
  3. failure on the qualifying examination (for students in the Ph.D. program). Note: the student will be allowed to repeat the examination. However, if a student fails the examination more than once, he/she will be dismissed from the program.
  4. failure on the comprehensive examination (for students in the M.S. program who choose the non-thesis option). Note: the student will be allowed to repeat the examination. However, if a student fails the repeat examination, he/she will be dismissed from the program.

A student may appeal an academic dismissal once by petition to the Associate Dean of the College. The petition should present a thorough analysis by the student of the reasons for having failed to maintain satisfactory academic progress and a comprehensive plan for rectifying his/her deficiencies within a reasonable period of time, preferably after one semester of study but not exceeding two semesters of study, and that conforms with all other academic regulations of the College. The petition is considered by the Associate Dean who may request that the student appear in person to substantiate his/her position and answer questions. Students are advised that successful appeals of academic dismissals are rare and usually occur only in those circumstances where substantive underlying causes for unsatisfactory academic progress were previously unknown to the College. Generally, in cases where substantive underlying causes exist for unsatisfactory progress, an extension of academic probation will have been granted to allow the student additional opportunity to remedy his/her noncompliance with satisfactory academic progress. Decisions of the Associate Dean that a student believes may demonstrate arbitrary and capricious treatment or to be fundamentally unfair nmyay be appealed, as a final step, to the Dean of LIU Pharmacy.

Comprehensive Examination for Master Students

Passing the comprehensive exam at the Master’s level is required for the M.S. degree for non-thesis students.

The Comprehensive Examination Process

The comprehensive examination is given each year. Non-thesis students should apply for the comprehensive exam in their final semester. Students should contact the Coordinator of Graduate Programs for forms, application deadlines and examination dates and fill out DPS Form #PP 0003.

Eligibility Requirements

  1. Students must have a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.000 or above.
  2. Students must be in the process of completing all of their required coursework for their degree in the semester in which they are planning to take the examination.

Passing Scores

A score of 75 or higher is required to pass examination.

If a student has not successfully complete his/her coursework in the semester during which he/she takes the exam, he/she will have to repeat the coursework and re-take the exam.

If a student fails the exam and wants to retake the exam, he/she should do so within 7 days following receipt of his score.

Reporting of the Scores

The Office of Graduate Programs shall inform students, in writing, of their scores.