Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Full-timeAdjunct Clinical Pharmacology Professor, Division of Physician Assistant Studies
B.S., Rutgers UniversityPharm.D., University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
DR. TIMOTHY NGUYEN is an Associate Professor of Pharmacy practice at the Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. He also teaches advanced clinical pharmacology for the graduate division at Saint Peter’s University. Dr. Nguyen has extensive experience in nephrology and dialysis pharmacy and he became a certified consultant pharmacist in 2006 and a Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist in 2011.
Dr. Nguyen currently serves as Editor for the Prescription Pad Department for the Journal for Nurses Practitioner and a member of the Editorial Board for the same Journal (since 2012). He was the editor for the NJPhA Student Practitioner Newsletter (2012-2013) and the Hemodialysis Hook-Up newsletter at HNH’s Regional Dialysis Center Newsletter (2009-2010). He has published multiple papers related to nephrology pharmacy in both nephrology and pharmacy journals.
Dr. Nguyen practices at The Mount Sinai Kidney Center and serves on nephrology and hospital committees. He previously served as a member of the Pharmacy & Therapeutic (P&T) Committee, the Nephrology Quality Assessment & Performance Improvement (QAPI) Program and the Renal Rehab Taskforce Committee at HNH’s Regional Dialysis Center. He hopes to continue advancing the nephrology pharmacy profession through more research in nephrology and dialysis pharmacy in the areas of anemia, mineral and bone disorders, medication-related problems and chronic kidney disease. Dr. Nguyen is also the founding adviser to the College’s chapter of the AMSCOP-NJPhA (New Jersey Pharmacist Association) Student Chapter.
Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Nephrology and Dialysis Pharmacy
Nguyen T, Lam O, Massachi R, Shah R, Kharchenko P. Emergency Contraception: An Inside Look at Plan B OTC. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2014 April;10(4):280-281
Wong E, Nguyen T. Case study on Zolpidem and new safety data. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2014 February;10(2):140-1
Wong E., Nguyen TV. A Case-based approach to evaluating azithromycin use and cardiovascular risks. Consult Pharm. 2014 Jan;29(1):47-52
Wang A, Nguyen T. New Anticoagulation Medications for Atrial Fibrillation. J Develop Drugs. 2013;2(2):1000e123. (http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2329-6631.1000e123
Editorial Member- Nguyen TV, et al. NJPhA Student Practitioner Newsletter. Publish by NJPhA. Available at www.njpharmacist.org. 2013 Spring (March). Accessed 2013 April
Connelly K, Nguyen TV. Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Associated Nephropathy: A Case Assessment. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2013 January;9(1):40-45
Editor - Nguyen TV, et al. NJPhA Student Practitioner Newsletter. Publish by NJPhA. Available at www.njpharmacist.org. 2012 Fall (October). Accessed 2012 October 10
Héctor Mateo-Carrasco H, Gálvez-Contreras MC, Fern ández-Ginés FD, Nguyen TV. Elevated liver enzymes resulting from an interaction between Raltegravir and Panax ginseng: a case report and brief review.Drug Metab Drug Interact. 2012;27(3):171–175
Nguyen TV, Mina Yacoub, Tak-In Chan, and Kien Quach. Atrial Fibrillation: Focus on Anticoagulant Pharmacotherapy. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2012 July/Aug;8(7):560-565
Nguyen TV, Wong E. A Case-based approach to evaluating and assessing dabigatran drug interactions. Consult Pharm. 2012 July;27(7):509-512
Nguyen TV, Wang A. Phosphorous: Consequences and Management. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2012;8(1):56-60
Nguyen TV, Lac T, Iskhakova M, Srbljak A. Prescriber’s Guides to Antiplatelet Therapy. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2011 Nov/Dec;7(10):847-52
Nguyen TV, Goldfarb D. The Older Adult Patients and Kidney Function. Consult Pharm. 2012;27(6):431-444 [PMID: 22698550]
Nguyen TV, Goldfarb D. Implications of reduction in hemoglobin target in ESA-treated hemodialysis patients. Nephron EXTRA. 2011;1:212–216; DOI: 10.1159/000334228; Published online: November 11, 2011; [PMID: 22470394; PMCID: PMC3290836]
Nguyen TV, Wells D. Establishing Maintenance Doses of IV Iron in Anemia Management To Improve Patient Outcomes. Nephrology Nursing Journal. January-February 2011;38(1):55-58
Kim EY, Ng A, Nguyen TV. The Consultant Pharmacist Provides Consultation and Recommendations for Medical Patient. Consult Pharm. February 2011;26:111-117 [PMID: 21310709]
Nguyen TV, Wang A, Kim SS. Roles of Intravenous Iron Therapy in Various Patient Settings. J Pharm Technol. September/October 2010;26:285-292
Nguyen TV. Practical Assessment Tools for Identifying Kidney Disease for Practicing Pharmacist. U.S. Pharmacist Journal. March 2010
Nguyen TV. Profiles of Serum Ferritin and Transferrin Saturation Levels Following Administration of Two IV Iron Formulations to Hemodialysis Patients. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. June 15, 2009;66:1101-1104
Nguyen TV and Filson (McGuoirk) J. Caring for Chronic Kidney Disease Patient: Focus on Mineral and Bone Disorders. Consult Pharm. February 2009;24(2):146-152 [PMID: 19275456]
Nguyen TV. The Consultant Pharmacist’s Role in Dialysis. Consult Pharm. December 2007;22:1035-1044. [PMID: 181198961]
Nguyen TV. Anemia Management in Adult Chronic Hemodialysis Patients Using Darbepoetin Alfa Protocol. Dialysis and Transplantation. October 2007;36(10):526-532.
Nguyen TV. Intravenous Iron Requirement in Adult Hemodialysis Patients. Dialysis and Transplantation. September 2006;35(9):555-560.
Nguyen TV, Iacovino LA. Standardized doses of epoetin alfa for hemodialysis patients. Am J Health-Syst Pharm, September 15, 2005;62:1867.
Nguyen TV, Dikun M. Establishing an Alteplase Dosing Protocol for Hemodialysis-Catheter Thrombosis. Am J Health-Syst Pharm, September 15, 2004;61:1922-1924.
Nguyen TV. Oral Ascorbic Acid as Adjuvant to Epoetin Alfa in Hemodialysis Patients with Hyperferritinemia. Am J Health-Syst Pharm, October 1st, 2004;61:2007-2008.
Lectures and Presentations
- Presenter, “State of Chronic Kidney Disease”, Pakistani American Pharmacists Association (2014 April. New York)
- Presenter, “Anemia: Focus on Iron Deficiency Anemia and Anemia of Chronic Disease/Chronic Kidney Disease”, Pakistani American Pharmacists Association (2014 January. New York)
- Presenter, “Pharmacology in Renal Disease”, American Nephrology Nursing Association (ANNA) at MSMC (2013 November. New York)
- Presenter, Selected OTC Topics for Community Pharmacists, Pakistani American Pharmaceutical Association (2013 September. New York)
- Presenter, “Clinical Review of Oral Anticoagulants: Old and New”, American Nephrology Nursing Association (ANNA) (2013 March 14. New Jersey)
- Presenter, “Clinical Review of Oral Anticoagulants and Its Associated Interactions”, Pakistani American Pharmaceutical Association (2013 March. New York)
- Presenter, “Pharmacotherapy Assessment: Medications that Affect the Cardiovascular-Renal Systems”, Annual Meeting, Pakistani American Pharmaceutical Association (2012 November. New York) and New Jersey Pharmacist Association. (2013 March, New Jersey)
- Presenter, “Pain Management in CKD and Dialysis”. American Nephrology Nursing Association (2012 May. Morristown, New Jersey)
- Presenter, “Pharmacology Review-Kidney Function: Assessment, PPI, ACEI, NSAIDs and Opioids”, New Jersey Society of Health-System Pharmacist (2012 March, Lakewood, New Jersey)
- Presenter, “Pharmacology Review & Clinical Assessment Tools for Practicing Pharmacists”, Mount Sinai Medical Center & New York State Council of Health-System Pharmacists (2010 November, New York)
- Presenter, “Pharmacology in Renal Disease”, American Nephrology Nursing Association (2011 May, New Jersey)
- Presenter, “Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): Know the risks associated with NSAID use”, Holy Name Medical Center’s Annual Medication Safety Symposium (2009 May, New Jersey)
- Presenter, “Expanding Your Consulting Pharmacy Service to Dialysis Facilities”, Annual Meeting, American Society of Consultant Pharmacist (2007 November, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- Presenter, “Protecting the Beans: Nephrotoxicity and Medications”, Annual Meeting, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (2007 September, Pompton Plain, New Jersey)
- Presenter, “Pharmacy Operation in a Hospital-Based Dialysis Clinic Structure”, Hoffman-La Roche’s Renal Specialist Session (2007 April, Nutley, New Jersey)
- Presenter, “Dialysis 101: The Consultant Pharmacist’s Role in Dialysis”, Annual Meeting, American Society of Consultant Pharmacist (2006 November, Phoenix, Arizona)
- Presenter, “How to Effectively Implement Anemia Management in Hemodialysis Using Darbepoetin Alfa (Aranesp®) with Reduce Spending & Increase Reimbursement?”, (2005 June, Colquit Regional Dialysis Center, Moultrie, Georgia, John Archibold Hospital, Thomasville, Georgia, and Crisp Regional Hospital, Cordele, Georgia)
Nominated, LIU 2010’s 22nd Annual David Newton Award for Excellence in Teaching and 2013’s 25th Annual David Newton Award for Excellence in Teaching
Best poster presentation. Nursing Evidence-Based Research Consortium (2009 March)
Awarded the first Holy Name Hospital’s Deane Penn, MD Innovation Award (2007)
Nominated, "The Pharmacist Practitioner Award of The Year”, New Jersey Society of Health-System Pharmacist (2005).
American Society of Nephrology (ASN)
American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP)
Nephrology Practice and Research Network (PRN)
American Society of Health-System Pharmacist (ASHP)
New Jersey Society of Health-System Pharmacists (NJSHP)
Renal Pharmacist Network (RPN)
New Jersey Pharmacist Association (NJPhA)
Joint Board for Certified Consultant Pharmacist
American Society of Consultant Pharmacist (ASCP)
American Pharmacist Association (APhA)