The Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (LIU Pharmacy) was established in 1886 as the "Brooklyn College of Pharmacy" by the Kings County Pharmaceutical Society. The society’s goals in establishing the college were "...to improve the science and art of pharmacy by diffusing knowledge among the apothecaries and druggists, fostering pharmaceutical literature, developing talent for pharmaceutical pursuit and investigation, and stimulating discovery and invention in the several departments of the drug business."
In 1929, the Brooklyn College of Pharmacy affiliated with Long Island University, one of the largest independent universities in the United States, and moved onto the LIU Brooklyn campus in 1976. LIU Pharmacy attracts students who strive to grow personally, intellectually and professionally in pharmacy and related fields.
The college serves as an urban leader in pharmacy education through its pursuit of excellence and innovation in teaching, scholarship and service. Forging alliances and partnerships with health-care providers and the pharmaceutical industry, the college has created a rich mosaic of programs that elevate student aspirations and are responsive to the health-care needs of society.
As an advocate for an expanded scope of pharmacy practice, the college creates new paradigms for collaborative practice models that will shape the future of the profession of pharmacy. Three newly constructed state-of-the-art research facilities in the Wet Lab building enable meaningful collaboration with industry and further innovation in pharmacy education.
The college has completed 130 years of service to the state and the nation in the education of entry-level professional students and graduate students, graduating a number of alumni attained prominence in pharmacy and the other health professions.