B.F.A. in Dance Studies
Few art forms are as expressive and personal as dance – and few have the same power to inspire, delight, and communicate across cultures. The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Studies at LIU Post is an excellent foundation for a career in dance performance, dance education or dance criticism. A pre-professional, process-based and performance-oriented program, this 129-credit degree explores the wide variety of roles for dance professionals and surveys the world’s great dance traditions, from African and Asian dance to modern, jazz, ballet and tap. Combining advanced education in dance and theatrical production with opportunities to develop specific skills through training and sustained practice, all in the context of a strong liberal arts program, the B.F.A. in Dance Studies teaches the art form and not just technique.
Students are encouraged to choreograph after the third semester. Coordinated with the Post Theatre Company and the Post Concert Dance Company, the degree offers extensive performance and choreography opportunities and requires substantial participation in the work of both companies. Audition and interview required.
Qualities That Set Our Program Apart
- Acclaimed faculty with years of professional experience
- Technical instruction augmented by attendance at performances in New York City
- On-campus Post Concert Dance Company
- Junior and Senior dancers Showcase Performance at the Symphony Space Theatre on Broadway
- Opportunities to work with New York Choreographers
- Opportunities to perform great dance works through our Legacy Project
- Master classes with major touring companies