Internships & Service Learning
The India Center promotes student learning through independent studies and internships. India offers a breadth of internships from volunteering with children through Mother Theresa's group of nuns to helping women become empowered in rural areas. Students work with a faculty advisor to pursue the topic of their choice, which may involve volunteer work with a local organization.
Some recent subjects that have been studied include:
- Conflict resolution.
- The life of Gandhi.
- Intercultural communication.
- Women's literature.
- Effects of tourism on indigenous people.
- Effects of globalization on traditional practices.
- Media and local culture.
- Societies in transition/rural development.
- Tibetan medicine.
- Alternative systems of healing.
- Meditation and holistic spirituality.
- Sustainable and organic agriculture.
- Wildlife and human conflict in South Asia.
- An internship within elephant rehabilitation center in Assam.
- Effects of urbanization on natural resources.
- Therapeutic yoga and Vipasana; the way traditional yogic practice can heal.
- Superstitions and supernatural beliefs of Indian religious groups.
Examples of independent study locations include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Navadarshanam, community based on sustainable living
- Dr. Narayan Reddy's farm, organic farming
- Auroville, alternative community
- Missionaries of Charity, volunteer work
- BOSCO, street children organization
- Life and Society of Rajasthan, cultural study
- Community Healthcare & Traditional Healing Practices: Child Birth Experiences of India (Government/Public hospital in Bangalore & Primary Health Center in Bangalore rural district)
- Global Migration and Refugee Studies: A Study of the Tibetan Community in Exile, at Dharmsala (Himachal Pradesh) and Bylucuppe (Karnataka)
- Yoga Philosophy and Practice, undertaken at a Yoga Ashram and deemed Yogic Sciences University near Bangalore
- Sexuality and Sex Education in Indian Context (conducted at Bangalore and Sikkim)
- Nutrition and Health – volunteering and observer ship at Freedom Foundation, an organization working for HIV/AIDS patients' treatment, care and as support group
- Women's Empowerment: Tilonia (Ajmer district in Rajasthan)
- Public and Community Health issues relating to reproductive and child health care aspects at Institute of Health Management, Pachod and Pune in Maharashtra