Contact Us

Apply for On-Campus Employment

International students with F-1 status may apply for employment in offices and departments on the LIU Post campus. F-1 students can only work on the LIU Post campus and must have a paperwork filled out by the International Student Services office indicating they are In-Status before they can begin employment.

The total number of work hours for all jobs cannot exceed 20 hours while school is in session. Students may work full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the student’s annual break.

Students can continue to work on Campus as long as they are enrolled in school, maintaining their status, and following the guidelines for on-campus employment.

The guidelines for on-campus work are:

  • F-1 students may work at any qualifying on-campus job that does not displace a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR).
  • A student can work part time up to 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • A student may work full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the student’s annual break.
  • F 1 students should report their work to the DSO and receive a certification letter to present to the Social Security Administration in order to be able to receive a social security number.

Not complying with these guidelines for on-campus employment may be a violation of status that could result in the student having to leave the United States.

Types and locations of on-campus employment

  1. On-campus employment for F-1 students is work that takes place either at LIU Post or at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with LIU Post. This work could be for an on-campus commercial business, like a bookstore or cafeteria, as long as the work directly provides services for students.
  2. Employment located on-campus that does not directly involve services to students (such as construction work) does not qualify as on-campus employment. However, work with an employer that is contractually affiliated with the school is considered on-campus employment even if the work site is not located on the campus (such as a research lab affiliated with your school).
  3. Educational affiliation means the job is associated with the school’s established curriculum or is part of contractually funded research projects at the postgraduate level.
  4. The job has to be physically located on the school’s campus or off-campus at the site of an educationally affiliated organization.