Contact Us

Academic Policies

Admission to Classes

Admission to graduate classes does not imply that a student has been accepted as a degree candidate. In order for a student to be accepted as a degree candidate, he/she must satisfy all graduate program entrance requirements and must be granted full matriculation status.

Visiting Students

A graduate student who is in good standing at another college or university may register for LIU Post Campus courses by filing an application for admission as a Graduate/Visiting Student. Certain graduate programs do not allow visiting students. Please consult with the Graduate Admissions Office for further information at 516-299-2900 or e-mail post-enroll@liu.eduClick here for the Graduate/Visiting Student form.


Dates and deadlines will be announced before each registration period. Registration rules and regulations apply equally to all students. New graduate students should schedule an appointment with their graduate advisor to register for their first term. Students with without any holds on their accounts are able to register via self-service (via the student portal – MY.LIU.EDU) for all subsequent terms. Questions regarding the on –line registration process should be directed to the Student Center for Information at 516-299-3967. In addition, instructions can be found at Registration requirements may vary in certain academic departments. Check registration procedures specific to the academic departments. During the fall and spring semesters, the Registrar's Office is conveniently open Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Further information is available by calling 516-299-2756. Closed and cancelled courses may be checked on the Office of the Registrar Web site or at


Each student is assigned a graduate academic counselor who helps develop an appropriate Plan of Study, assists in course selection and schedules and approves registration. The student must meet with his or her academic counselor before registering for their first semester. Students are encouraged to confer with their academic counselor regularly to assure appropriate progress throughout their degree program. A graduate student is encouraged not to take more than two consecutive courses in a single day.

Course Load

A full-time graduate student must register for at least 9 graduate credits each semester. Eligibility for some financial aid programs may require enrollment for a minimum of 12 credits. Further information is available from the Office of Financial Assistance at 516-299-2338. E-mail:

Maintenance of Matriculation

Unless granted an official leave of absence by the Dean of their academic department, graduate students must register for consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions). Although students typically proceed toward their degrees by enrolling in classes, they may apply for “Maintenance of Matriculation” status provided that they are engaged in some sort of academic activity, such as working on a thesis. Students approved for Maintenance of Matriculation are entitled to avail themselves of Campus facilities and services (e.g., computer labs, library resources, health services). Maintenance of Matriculation does not, however, extend the time limits specified under “Requirements for Degrees,” and students should be aware that such status may affect their eligibility for financial aid. Students must apply to an academic counselor for Maintenance of Matriculation prior to or during the registration period in a given semester. The fee is $100 ($250 for doctoral students engaged in dissertation research), and this matriculation status will be recorded on their transcripts as a “class” for zero credit. Maintenance of Matriculation is generally limited to two semesters. An extension beyond two semesters, due to extenuating circumstances, must be approved by the appropriate academic dean. Otherwise, students will have to apply for readmission to their academic program in accordance with procedures and policies stated elsewhere in this bulletin. Maintenance of Matriculation is essential for international students, who must either attend classes or maintain matriculation through suitable academic activity in order to maintain their visa status. In addition, Maintenance of Matriculation status enables students to continue to purchase student health insurance through Long Island University.

Leave of Absence

A student is expected to register for consecutive fall-spring semesters until degree requirements have been completed. Absence for one or more semesters will subject a student to degree requirements in effect at the time of his or her return to the program and requires a student to apply for readmission. In order to extend the time allocated to complete the requirements as specified in the Bulletin at the time when admitted, student must apply in writing for a Leave of Absence to his or her dean. If the Leave of Absence is approved, the Registrar’s Office will be notified and it will be recorded on the student’s transcript. The maximum length of a leave is one year. A student may not attend any other university while on leave. Returning to his or her studies after an approved Leave of Absence, a student requires no Admissions authorization and can register with his or her graduate adviser. A student whose Leave of Absence extends beyond a year must apply for readmission to the program through the Admissions Office. Requests for the extension of any leave must be filed with the dean. International students should know that ICE (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) regulations will likely prohibit those who have been granted such a leave from maintaining their visa status.

Medical Leave of Absence

A Medical Leave of Absence may be granted when serious medical and/or psychological circumstances prevent a student from adequately completing coursework in a given semester. A student who wishes to request medical Leave of Absence will need to obtain an application form from the Student Health and Counseling Center. The student must complete the form, attach adequate medical documentation and submit it to the Student Health and Counseling Center for evaluation. A Medical Leave of Absence may be granted to any full- or part-time graduate student and is initially granted for one semester only. A request for a continuance may be granted for up to one year. The Director of Student Health and Counseling evaluates the request and forwards the decision to the Academic Standing Committee. Recipients of federal, state and/or University assistance who are granted a Medical Leave of Absence may lose financial assistance for the semester they are withdrawn. Students must contact the Financial Assistance Office about possible consequences of this change in status. In addition, students should check with the Bursar regarding eligibility for a tuition adjustment. All students seeking return from a medical leave are required to provide medical documentation to the Director of Student Health & Counseling and will be evaluated if applicable prior to receiving approval to return.


If a student is out of attendance and has not maintained his or her Maintenance of Matriculation status (as described in the previous section) or has not been granted a Leave of Absence, he or she must apply for readmission. Students out of attendance for one semester but less than five years must complete a Request for Readmission Form. The form must be signed by the Chairperson or Faculty Advisor. The Chairperson or Faculty Advisor will then forward to the Graduate Admissions Office for processing. The Request for Readmission Form can be found by clicking here.

Students out of attendance for more than five years must submit a new Graduate Application and all supporting credentials required for admission. Students can find specific Graduate Program requirements by clicking here.

If readmission is approved, students return subject to the academic requirements posted in the Graduate Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission.

Program Changes

A student may drop and/or add courses, transfer from one section of a course to another, or change a course to audit status (or vice versa) in one or more courses by either doing so in the student portal (MY.LIU.EDU) or filing an official change of program card with the Registrar’s Office. The deadline for all such program changes is specified in the academic calendar. After this time, these changes cannot be made.


With the dean’s permission, selected courses may be taken on an audit basis.


In order to withdraw from a course, a student must complete an official Drop/Add Withdrawal Form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office prior to the withdrawal listed in the academic calendar. The withdrawal is noted on the student’s transcript with a grade of (W). If the withdrawal deadline has passed, the student must obtain the appropriate instructor and dean’s approval. A student, who stops attending classes without officially withdrawing will be given either of the grades UW (unofficial withdrawal– no penalty) or WF (unofficial withdrawal with failure).

Class Size

Every effort is made to provide an optimal learning environment by limiting the number of students in each course section. The LIU Post Campus graduate class size average is 15 students.

Class Schedules

For a minimum total of 14 class sessions, most courses convene once a week during the fall and spring semesters. Each session lasts for approximately two hours. Weekend classes are available in select academic disciplines (see Weekend College). Schedules are available on our Web site at

Academic Policy

Refer to specific department listings for degree requirements.


Credit is granted for courses completed with the grade of (A), (A-), (B+), (B), (B-), (C+), (C) or (P). A grade of (P) signifies pass and a grade of (SP) signifies satisfactory progress for dissertation supervision. The grade of (F) signifies failure, and a grade of (W) indicates a student initiated withdrawal from a course that occurred sometime after the add/drop period through the final day to select the pass/fail option. A grade of (UW) indicates an unauthorized withdrawal. A grade of (WF) indicates and unofficial withdrawal with record of failure. A grade of (INC) is assigned at the discretion of the professor and indicates that some of the course requirements have not been completed. A student has until the end of the following semester to make up incomplete coursework. When, due to extenuating circumstances, a student needs additional time to complete the course, he or she must submit a written request to the appropriate faculty member, chairperson and dean for an extension. After completion of an incomplete (INC) course, a grade of (I) is retained on the transcript along with the final earned grade and the date.

Quality-Point Index

Each student must satisfactorily complete at least 129 credits for a baccalaureate degree (except those transfer students exempted from 1 credit of College 101); in some departments more credits are required. The student must achieve an overall grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.00, and in some departments requirements may be higher (see departmental requirements). In the major area, the student must achieve an average of at least 2.25; in certain programs the minimum major average may be higher.

A credit is defined as 50 minutes of classroom work per week, completed on one 15-week semester, or its equivalent, plus appropriate out-of class assignments and readings. As of Fall 2012, quality points are computed by multiplying the number of credits in a course by: 4.000 for grade A, 3.667 for grade A-, 3.333 for grade B+, 3.000 for grade B, 2.667 for grade B-, 2.333 for grade C+, 2.000 for grade C, 1.667 for grade C-, 1.000 for grade D.

For courses in which the grade of F or WF has been earned, no quality points are assigned. To determine the quality points for a specific course, multiple the corresponding quality points (see above) for the grade received in the course by the number of credits awarded for the course.  To determine the total quality points, add all quality points for all courses. To compute the grade point average (G.P.A.), divide the total quality points by the total number of credits, including those of failed courses. The grades W, UW and P are not counted in the G.P.A. computation nor are the grades for courses taken at another college or university.

G.P.A. computations are carried to the third decimal place from which rounding takes place to the second decimal place.  For example, a computed G.P.A. of 2.994 will be rounded down to 2.990.  A computed G.P.A. of 2.995 will be rounded up to 3.000.  On all official LIU transcripts, a G.P.A. will be displayed to three decimal places with the third decimal place always being zero due to rounding.

For example:
In a semester, a student earns an A- in a 4-credit Biology 1 course (3.667 x 4 = 14.668), a B- in a 3-credit English 1 course (2.667 x 3 = 8.001), a B in a 3-credit History 2 course (3.000 x 3 = 9.000), a C+ in a 3-credit Math 4 course (2.333 x 3 = 6.999), and an F in a 3-credit Art 1 course (0.000 x 3 = 0.000).

The student has earned 38.668 total quality points based on 16 total credits.  Dividing 38.668 by 16 yields a cumulative G.P.A. for this semester of 2.417 before rounding. Based on the rounding policy, the cumulative G.P.A for this semester will be reported on the student's official LIU transcript as 2.420.

Unsatisfactory Grades

A student’s cumulative grade point average in his or her approved program of study may be no less than 3.00. Any student who receives grades below (B) in two graduate courses is considered to have an academic deficiency. A student who earns a third grade below (B) may lose his or her matriculated status or maybe dismissed from the graduate program. Academic standards vary and may be more stringent in select departments. Complete information is found in the specific department listings.


A student is expected to attend all class sessions scheduled for the courses in which they are enrolled. The instructor establishes the attendance policy for each respective course. Absences from classes or laboratories may affect the final grade. Permission to make up work missed through absence is not automatic and is given at the discretion of the instructor. The University reserves the right to exclude a student from an examination, courses or program if his or her class attendance record is unsatisfactory. Excessive rates of unexcused absences may result in grades of (F) or (UW) forth course(s) in question.

Absence from Final Examination

A student who is absent from a final examination must:

  1. Notify his or her professor or department chairperson within 24 hours and provide a reason for the absence.
  2. Request the professor’s permission to take a deferred final examination. A deferred final examination is a privilege that may be granted only to a student who complies with the notification regulations outlined above, whose work during the semester is satisfactory and whose reason for missing the scheduled examination is an authorized excuse.

Classroom and Student Conduct

Discipline in the classroom is the responsibility of the faculty member in charge of the class. Misbehavior that interferes with the educational efficiency of a class is considered sufficient cause for the faculty member to impose a sanction regarding the student's status in their classroom. Students are always requested to first try and resolve the problem with the faculty member responsible for the class. If this is not possible, the student should make an appointment to see the Department Chairperson of the area for assistance. In the event the student feels this matter should be pursued further, they should contact the appropriate Dean for that area. Final determination as to whether or not the student will be permitted to continue as a member of the class, department or school would be the decision of the Dean or their designee. A record of the disposition of the case should be forwarded by the faculty member, department and or the Dean to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Education where a record is also maintained.

In situations where a faculty member or an academic department requires Department of Public Safety assistance, the faculty member or academic department will report the incident to the Department of Public Safety so that a report can be generated. A faculty member, Department Chairperson or Academic Dean has the right to make a formal complaint regarding a student and are encouraged to do so through the Department of Public Safety. In such cases, the Office of Student Conduct and Community Education will determine whether or not there were violations of the Ethos Statement and the Code of Conduct and proceed accordingly with the judicial process. For additional information outlining the Student Conduct disciplinary process please refer to

Academic Conduct Policy

See the Academic Conduct Policy section of the Web site for details.

Academic Irregularities

In cases of academic irregularities or dishonesty in examinations or class work, responsibility for disciplinary action is governed by the faculty policy contained in the Academic Conduct Policy. Plagiarism and cheating are not only serious violations of the rules, but also may reflect adversely on the student’s reputation as well as on the reputation of the Campus. Faculty, administrators and the student body share responsibility for academic integrity. A student in violation of accepted academic procedures may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion from the Campus. Faculty members will report to the Academic Dean any case of irregular or dishonest behavior that occurs in the class or in his or her observation. Students may likewise make such a report to the faculty member or dean. The Academic Dean will decide what disposition is to be made of the charges. Requests for appeals may be made to the Student/Faculty Appeals Board. In the case of a minor infraction that is the student’s first disciplinary offense, the Dean may authorize the faculty member to dispose of the charges, limiting the maximum penalty to failure in the course. The faculty member will make a report of the incident and the action taken to the dean and the Judicial Affairs Coordinator. In the case of a major infraction, or in the case of repeat academic offenses, the student may be subject to suspension or expulsion from the Campus. If current non-academic disciplinary action is pending for a student, further disciplinary action may result, up to and including expulsion from the Campus.

Course Numbers and Course Frequency

Courses numbered 600 and above are generally open only to those who qualify for graduate standing. Courses numbered 500 to 599 are designed primarily for those who qualify for graduate standing, but may be taken by advanced undergraduate students. The frequency with which fall and spring courses are offered is indicated after every department course description. A complete listing of courses is available at

Evening, Summer and Weekend course frequency is not indicated. Information on course offerings during these sessions is available by contacting the appropriate academic department or by calling the Office for Non-Traditional Student Programs at 516-299-2040.

Transfer Credits

Courses taken at another university after admission to a master’s program at LIU Post may not be used for transfer credit unless prior written permission is obtained from the major department. Previous graduate credits earned at other institutions may be credited to a student’s graduate degree. A request to transfer credits must be made to the appropriate academic program chairperson with the submission of official transcripts of all previous graduate work. Transfer credit is normally limited to six semester credit hours with an earned grade of (B) or better. Transfer credits are not recorded on a student’s transcript unless he or she completes 12 semester credit hours in residence and is fully matriculated.

Change of Major

In order to change majors and transfer from one academic department to another, a graduate student’s application for admission must be formally accepted by the new department chairperson. Before leaving the academic department, the graduate student is expected to notify the department chairperson. If the student has a quality-point average of less than 3.00, the appropriate dean must approve the proposed change. Application forms are available in the Graduate Admissions Office or with the department graduate advisors.

Time Limit

Degree requirements for a master’s degree must be completed within five years from the term for which the candidate is admitted and enrolled (exclusive of time spent in military service). All requests for an extension must be in writing and submitted to the appropriate dean for approval.

Oral Qualifying or Comprehensive Examination

Some departments require a student to take examinations in his or her major field. These examinations include:

Qualifying Examination

This examination is given in academic departments that require a common core of courses. Degree candidacy status and an assignment of a thesis project are deferred until the examination is successfully completed.

Comprehensive Examination

SoSome academic departments give a comprehensive examination after students complete a minimum of 24 semester credit hours. This examination is designed to test the candidate’s knowledge of both general concepts and his or her area of concentration. The examination may be oral or written. Oral Examination (and defense of thesis): Academic departments that require a degree candidate to write a thesis may require the candidate to defend his or her thesis through an oral examination. The examination is designed to test the candidate not only on the thesis project but also on ancillary areas. Students must be fully matriculated and must have completed the minimum number of semester credit hours (set by the department) to be admitted to these examinations. Students must register and attend LIU Post classes or maintain matriculation during the semester he or she applies to take the examination.

Graduation and Diplomas

A graduation candidate is required to file a degree application with the Registrar’s Office well in advance of Commencement. Degree applications must be submitted by the deadline date found in the Academic Calendar available on the LIU Post Registrar’s Web site. A student who meets all requirements for his or her degree in September or January is considered for the following May’s graduating class. Degrees are conferred by the faculty of Long Island University. Diplomas are dated three times a year: September, January and May. Students who file their degree applications after the specified graduation date will have their degrees awarded at the next conferral regardless of the date of completion of requirements.

Transcript Requests

Official transcripts for professional and graduate schools, prospective employers and other institutions must be requested in writing. Please note: if you owe the University any funds or have any blocks on your account, your request cannot be processed. Enrolled students may use to check their financial and academic record. To secure transcripts, following the directions on the Registrar’s Web site.

Additional Academic Policies

Respective academic departments may have additional academic policies. Exceptions to academic policy provisions may be made only with written permission from the appropriate dean.