Safe Out-Post Program
The mission of Long Island University is to provide access and excellence in private higher education to people from all backgrounds, who seek to expand their knowledge and prepare themselves for meaningful, educated lives and for service to their communities and the world. To that end, the Safe Out-Post Program sends a message that all sexual orientations and gender presentations are part of our culture and are acknowledged and supported. The Safe Out-Post Program provides a visible network of allies for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and other individuals seeking information and assistance regarding sexual orientation, gender identity, harassment, and/or discrimination concerns.
The Safe Out-Post Program:
- Educates the LIU Post community regarding LGBTQ needs and concerns to include the following:
- Support for LGBTQ individuals
- Increased awareness of the issues facing LGBTQ individuals
- Referral process specific to the needs of LGBTQ individuals
- Increased visibility for LGBTQ individuals and concerns on campus
- Promotion and advocacy for safe environments respectful of all individuals
- Education of students, faculty, administrators and staff members regarding sexual harassment and discrimination policies
- Provides ongoing support and in-service training to Safe Out-Post Allies
Individuals on campus that openly participate in the Safe Out-Post program will display the logo on the left on his or her office door.
This logo visibly identifies students, staff, and faculty who support the LGBTQ population, understand some of the issues facing LGBTQ individuals, and are aware of the various LGBTQ resources.
For more information about Safe Out-Post Training contact:
Lynne Schwartz, LCSW, BCD
Director for Counseling Services, LIU Post
Jason Cascone, MA, LMHC, MCDP
Director of Career Development, LIU Post