Rights & Responsibilities
Members of the Pratt Recreation Center have the right to expect the finest programs, services, facilities, and equipment. The Department of Recreational Sports is committed to offering a welcoming environment operating within an environment of mutual respect, and enriching the University learning experience by fostering a lifetime appreciation of and involvement in wellness and recreational sports and activities.
As a recreational sports member of this University community you have the right to:
- Quality indoor and outdoor facilities that are clean, safe, and well maintained, which meet the diverse recreational sports needs and interests of the campus community.
- Program opportunities encompassing a variety of activities.
- Expect comprehensive information regarding facilities, programs and services.
- Expect that our policies, procedures, and standards of conduct will be enforced.
- A timely response to expressed concerns.
- Expect reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities that ensures opportunity to participate in, and benefit from, our recreational sports programs and activities.
As a recreational sports member of this University community you have the responsibility to:
- Abide by all policies, laws and regulations established by the State of New York, C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University and the Department of Recreational Sports.
- Respect all reasonable requests of fellow members.
- Treat fellow members and University staff with respect.
- Take responsibility for personal and community safety and security.
- Identify any special needs accommodations you may require in a timely fashion.
GENERAL FACILITY RULES
- Only those individuals with a current Pratt Recreation Center membership may use the facilities.
Please note: No one under the age of 18 is allowed to use the facility, unless they are a current matriculated LIU student or enrolled in a University-sponsored program.
- Valid LIU identification must be presented upon entering the Pratt Recreation Center.
- Use of all facilities is at your own risk. The University and its employees are not responsible for personal injuries.
- Groups of individuals using either outdoor or indoor facilities may be required to provide valid LIU identification upon request.
- Unauthorized equipment is prohibited in all recreational facilities.
- No individual or group may use recreational sports facilities for personal or monetary gain.
- Facilities may only be used for their intended purposes. Activities other than those included in the design will be scheduled only after review by the appropriate facility administrator. If you have immediate questions about a facility’s use, ask the staff member on duty.
- Appropriate procedures must be followed during times of emergency.
Please note: All patrons must leave the building immediately when the fire alarm sounds. Failure to comply may result in prohibition of future use of facilities.
- Use of any tobacco products is prohibited in indoor recreational facilities and other areas as posted.
- Harassment and/or hazing of groups, individuals, members or staff is prohibited.
- Helium balloons are not permitted in the Pratt Recreation Center.
- Skateboards, roller blades/skates, and cycling devices are prohibited.
- Recording of images without knowledge and using electronic or other means to make a video or photographic record of any person without prior permission is prohibited.
- Appropriate attire, including footwear, must be worn in all activity areas.
- The Department of Recreational Sports reserves the right to close a specific facility area when warranted.
- The Department of Recreational Sports members are responsible for the security of their personal property. Personal items not worn or being used should be kept in a secured locker.
- To observe damage being done to the building, its furnishings, or its equipment and not notify the recreational sports staff is viewed as complicity and may result in shared financial or judicial liability.
- Members are accountable for any damages caused to equipment and/or property due to improper use.
- Only authorized personnel may repair equipment. Unauthorized alteration of equipment is prohibited. Members are encouraged to report damages or necessary repairs to the recreational sports staff.
STANDARD OF CONDUCT
Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited at all indoor and outdoor recreational sports facilities.
- Members & guests demonstrating signs of intoxication may be denied access to recreational facilities and programs.
- Long Island University and the Department of Recreational Sports will comply fully with all federal, state, and municipal regulations regarding the use, cultivation, manufacture, sale, and/or possession of drugs or controlled substances. The misuse of prescriptions, over-the-counter, or illegal drugs shall not in any way limit the responsibility of the individual for the consequences of his/her behavior.
- Consistent with New York State Law, gambling in any form is not permitted within recreational facilities or on University premis
- Pets are prohibited. Only service animals are permitted in the Pratt Recreation Center.
- Unauthorized bicycles and other vehicles are not to be stored anywhere in a recreational sports facility. Please secure your bicycle and other vehicles in an appropriate location as governed by University Parking rules.
Fire and Personal Safety
- Fire drills are held periodically to ensure that all patrons are familiar with procedures. During an evacuation, cooperate fully with staff and follow emergency procedures. All violations of these regulations are investigated by Public Safety.
- Pulling a fire alarm, tampering with the smoke detector system, damaging emergency or safety equipment, or false reporting of an emergency to the police or fire department is prohibited and is punishable under the law. Campus judicial action may also result.
- Unauthorized people in recreational sports facilities should be reported to a recreational sports staff member immediately or Public Safety. Any time you believe a crime is about to be committed or has been committed, immediately call Public Safety and then report the incident to the Department of Recreational Sports staff.
- Passing through any door where security alarms have been set is prohibited except during emergency evacuations.
- Unauthorized propping open of any door is prohibited.
The Student Code of Conduct and the Ethos Statement will be enforced at all recreational sports facilities.