Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Form I-20 and Why Do I Need One?

The Form I-20 is issued by LIU Post  to certify to the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status. It certifies that you have met our admissions requirements, have been accepted for a full course of study, and have proven to us that you have sufficient funds to study and live in the United States. You need a Form I-20 to obtain an F-1 student visa, or to keep lawful F-1 status when transferring or changing schools within the United States.

Transferring students do not need the I-20 before coming to LIU Post, unless they are traveling outside the United States before classes begin. However, transfer students need to transfer out of their previous institution and meet with International Student Services within 15 days of the start of the semester, and prior to registering for classes. Please see instructions, below, regarding both the Form I-20 Application and F-1 Transfer-In Form Application & Information.

Who is Eligible for the Form I-20 Application?

You are eligible for the Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Visa once you are admitted to LIU Post for enrollment in a full course of study and have provided documents proving that you have the financial ability to support your living and studying expenses for the full length of your program of study. However, not every international student needs an I-20. If you are maintaining another nonimmigrant status in the U.S. (except B1/B2) which permits you to engage in study, you do not need an I-20 and may attend school full-time or part-time. If this is the case, you must submit a copy of your current visa. Dependent children in E, F, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, R, or S status need to change status after their 21st birthday or if they marry. Any questions regarding change of status should be addressed to International Student Services, Phone: 1-516-299-1451; E-mail

How Do I Get My Form I-20?

Complete the Application Form I-20 and attach the required documents showing that you have the financial ability to support your studying and living costs for the full length of your program. Submit your completed application, $200 tuition deposit, and all documentary evidence to: International Admissions Office, LIU Post Campus, 720 Northern Blvd., Brookville, N.Y. 11548-1300 USA. Unless you have given us other instructions, your Form I-20 will be mailed within two weeks after all of these items are received.

Please note: You may authorize your I-20 to be picked up by friend or relative, but this must be done in writing.

There are two things you should not do if you are planning to be an F-1 student:

  1. Do not enter the U.S. with a B-1 or B-2 “Tourist” visa unless it is marked “Prospective Student.” If you use a B visa to enter the United States you could be guilty of “fraudulent entry” and refused permission to stay longer than six months or to extend or change status.
  2. Do not enter the U.S. without a visa (unless you are a citizen of Canada). If you are from a country from which you can enter the United States as a visitor by showing a round trip airline ticket, do not do this. If you enter without a visa, you will be permitted to stay for only 90 days. You will not be given more time or allowed to change to student status.