Coaching Certificate Program
The Department of Health, Physical Education and Movement Science offers a Coaching Certificate Program which prepares men and women to coach in high schools in New York State. This Coaching Certificate Program is designed for those who are not certified to teach Physical Education in New York State.
Upon completion of the 15-credit hours of course requirements, along with 12 credits of pre-requisites, plus 3 required workshops, a certificate is issued as evidence that the student has completed the necessary requirements set forth by the New York State Department of Education. This certificate is designed for those who are not certified to teach Physical Education in New York State.
The program includes the following courses and workshops:
- PE 256 Coaching: Principles, Philosophy and Organization of Athletics in Education (3 credits)
- HPE 201 Introduction to Physical Education and Health Education (3 credits)
- PE 299 Exercise Physiology (4 credits)
- HPE 202 Responding to Emergencies: Comprehensive First Aid/CPR/AED (2 credits)
- PE 257 Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries (2 credits)
- PED 291 Coaching Practicum (1 credit)
- Child Abuse Identification Workshop
- School Violence Prevention and Intervention Workshop (Project S.A.V.E.)
- Dignity in Schools Act (DASA) Workshop