Applicants to the Master of Arts must meet the following requirements for admission.
- Application for Admission.
- Application fee: $40 (non-refundable).
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. The candidate must have completed an undergraduate major in Art or must have a minimum of 57 credits plus 12 credits in Art History. All M.F.A. applicants specializing in photography must have a working knowledge of digital imaging upon entering the program. Students who do not meet these requirements are welcome to discuss their options for admission with the graduate advisor.
- A portfolio, evaluated by the Art Department faculty, is required for admission. The portfolio must be submitted to the Art Department Graduate Studies Office prior to the March 15 deadline and should contain 15 to 20 samples of your most recent work and a numbered inventory list. Samples can be either original works, slides (enclosed in a slide page), CD or DVD. Photography applicants are encouraged to submit a portfolio of 20 original prints. The deadline for the portfolio submission is March 15 for the following Fall admission. After the portfolio has been submitted for review, students can apply for Graduate and Academic Assistantships. Please see below.
- Personal Artist Statement that addresses the reason you are interested in pursuing graduate work in this area of study.
- Two professional and/or academic letters of recommendation that address the applicant’s potential in the profession and ability to complete a graduate program.
Transfer Credits: If pertinent to the applicant's plan of study, a maximum of 12 graduate credits with a grade of B or better may be transferred from another university's graduate program (15 credits from within Long Island University). The transfer will take place after the completion of 15 credits within this program but the request must be made at the time of the original application to the degree program and must be approved by the Graduate Advisor.
- Students for whom English is a second language must submit official score results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The required minimum acceptable TOEFL score is: 79 Internet-based (213 computer based or 550 paper-based) or minimum IELTS score: 6.5.
Send application materials, with the exception of the portfolio, to:
Admissions Processing Center
P.O. Box 805
Randolph, MA 02368-0805
The portfolio should be mailed to:
(Please include your name, phone number and email address as well as the Program of Study and Degree applying for on portfolio)
Art Department Graduate Studies Office
720 Northern Boulevard
Brookville, N.Y. 11548-1300
Graduate and Academic Assistantships
The Department of Art offers Graduate and Academic Assistantships. Apply when you submit your portfolio to the Department of Art Graduate Studies Office. Please complete a Graduate Assistantship Application, which is available from the graduate art advisor. Three letters of recommendation are required.