- You must complete all the course work listed in your Degree Requirements (Liberal Arts Core and Major) and achieve an overall G.P.A. of at least 2.5 and 2.75 in your major.
- You must participate in a minimum of 100 hours of Field Experience.
- You must pass the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST)/Assessment of Teaching (LAST/ATS-W/CST). For complete information about the New York State Teacher Certification Exams, visit the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations Web site.
- In order to be certified to teach in New York State, all students pursuing a teacher education degree must participate in two workshops, a School Violence Prevention and Intervention Workshop (Project S.A.V.E.) and a Child Abuse Identification Workshop. These workshops should be taken in your last two semesters of your degree program.
- In order to student teach or receive your New York State teaching certificate or apply for employment in a school district, charter school or boards of cooperative educational services (BOCES), New York State requires you to satisfy a Fingerprint Investigation for a criminal history background check. LIU Post recommends that you participate in the fingerprinting prior to student teaching. Visit the “Fingerprinting” section of the New York State Education Department Web site for more information and directions on how to apply.
- You must participate in Student Teaching for one semester, full-time. This generally occurs in your last semester of study.
See Teaching Certification Requirements for more information.