Applicants to the Master of Science in School Counselor must meet the following requirements for admission.
- Application for Admission.
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable).
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in undergraduate studies or successful completion of another master’s degree. Applicants who do not meet this academic requirement will be required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). For admission purposes, only the writing assessment of the GRE is evaluated. This section of the exam assesses writing and critical thinking skills which are essential attributes for the professional counselor. Applicants will be considered to have met the GRE requirement if they obtain a score of 4.5.
- Applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and have at least 10 years work related experiences beyond their degree and/or have been involved in extraordinary life experiences are eligible to apply to the graduate counseling programs. At the discretion of the Chair of the Department of Counseling and Development, the GRE will be waived.
- Two professional and/or academic letters of recommendation that address the applicant’s potential in the profession and ability to complete a graduate program.
- Personal Statement that addresses the reason you are interested in pursuing graduate work in this area of study.
- Interview with a faculty member of the Department of Counseling and Development.
- Pass a spontaneous writing sample at admissions interview.
- Students for whom English is a second language must submit official score results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The required minimum acceptable TOEFL score is: 79 Internet-based (213 computer based or 550 paper-based) or minimum IELTS score: 6.5.
Deadlines for a complete application for admission to the programs of study in the Department of Counseling and Development are as follows:
- August 20 for Fall Admission (Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counselor)
- January 10 for Spring Admission (Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counselor)
- April 30 for Summer Admission (Clinical Mental Health Counseling)
Send application materials to:
Graduate Admissions Processing Center
15 Dan Road, Ste. 102
Canton, MA 02021