Stephanie M. White
Senior Professor, Computer Science, Innovation, and Management Engineering
Ph.D., Computer Science, Polytechnic University, now Tandon School of Engineering, NYUM.S., Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University (Woodrow Wilson Fellowship)B.A., Mathematics, Hunter College
Dr. Stephanie White, is senior professor and teaches undergraduate and master's level courses in computer science and systems engineering and a doctoral level course in systems theory, paradigms and methods. She is a dissertation advisor for the Palmer school, a member of the doctoral committee, and has been a member of numerous dissertation committees. Her research interests are software and systems science and engineering with emphasis on modeling and analysis of complex systems, and she has published more than 40 papers in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
Previously, Stephanie was Principal Engineer of Requirements and Architecture for the Northrop Grumman Advanced Technology and Development Center, serving as manager on aerospace projects, and Principal Investigator on software and systems research contracts provided by Naval Research Laboratory and other agencies. As President, System World, she performed research in systems and software engineering processes and developed a prototype software tool for modeling system processes under a Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) contract, funded by Naval Surface Warfare Center and the Office of Naval Research.
Stephanie is an active volunteer for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and is currently President-Elect of the IEEE Systems Council, Editor in Chief of the IEEE Thesaurus Editorial Board and a member of the IEEE Publication Services and Products Board. Previous positions include Computer Society Board of Governors, Vice President of Computer Society Technical Activities, and Chair of the Computer Society Audit Committee.
Systems Science, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, and Analysis and Modeling of Complex Systems
- S. White, "Understanding Transformation in Cyber-Human Systems", Proceedings of the 12th International Conference & Expo on Emerging Technologies for a Smarter World (CEWIT), Oct. 2015.
- S. White, "Systems Theory, Systems Thinking", Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Systems Conference, April, 2015.
- S. White, "Integrating System and Software Engineering Processes, Using the Views and Viewpoints of a New Discipline", Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE International Systems Conference, April, 2014.
- S. White, "Using Cybernetics with Soft Systems Methodology in Complex System Development", Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Systems Conference, April, 2012. This paper received the conference Best Paper Award.
- S. White and J. Owens, "Developing Complex Systems -Incorporating Human Variability into the Process", Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE International Systems Conference, April, 2011.
- Recipient of the IEEE-USA Divisional Professional Leadership Award for "Inspiring women to study and work in STEM fields and for leadership in diversity initiatives", 2013.
- Distinguished Lecturer for the IEEE Systems Council, 2013 - present.
- Distinguished Visiting Professional for the IEEE Computer Society from 2011 - 2013.
- Best Paper Award-1st Place, IEEE Systems Conference paper, 2012.
- IEEE Computer Society Golden Core Award, 2005.
Editor in Chief, IEEE Thesaurus Editorial Board, IEEE Publication Services and Products Board, 2012 - present.
Editorial Board, Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering, A NASA Journal, Springer, 2005 - present
Issue Guest Editor, IEEE Computer, Vol. 34 No. 11, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos CA, November 2001.