Adjunct Associate Professor Department: Communication and Film
B.S, Fashion Institute of TechnologyM.A, SUNY Empire State College
Phyllis Shapiro is a fashion apparel executive with a diverse retail and wholesale background. Her twenty-five plus year industry experience includes Director Positions with well-respected retail, wholesale and global sourcing companies. Product areas have spanned women’s, men’s and children’s fashion. Currently she is the owner and President of a boutique management consulting firm for the fashion design, retail and manufacturing industries.
Phyllis has been teaching in higher education since 2004. She has led teaching engagements in Merchandising Math, Retailing, Retail Buying, Business and Entrepreneurship, Introduction to the Fashion Industry, Retail Management and Leadership and Import- Export. She is known as a highly effective lecturer with an outstanding reputation to lead exciting and enriching courses by creating an interactive classroom dynamic to enhance student learning and critical thinking.
Phyllis has an undergraduate degree in Fashion Merchandising from the Fashion Institute of Technology. She also holds a Master of Arts in Teaching and Learning with Emerging Technologies from SUNY Empire
- Extensive background in current and emergent technologies to enhance online, hybrid and face-to-face courses
- Vast experience with e-learning software in higher education
- Developing and delivering online courses
- Author, “Creating an Active Learning Environment That Aligns to a Fashion Student’s Career Interests and Goals”, published in ProQuest Dissertation Publishing, (2016) 10116926
Affiliations and Associations
- Member, Online Learning Consortium
- Member, ASCD.org
- eLearning Guild