Assistant ProfessorDirector – Family Nurse Practitioner Program
D.N.P.c, SUNY - University at Buffalo, NYM.S., Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
B.S.N., Adelphi University, Garden City, NYA.A.S., CUNY - Queensborough Community College, Bayside, NY
Susan Marks is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Nursing at the C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University. She is an Adult Nurse Practitioner with certification through the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), has practiced in the adult primary care outpatient office based and homebound practice environments, and currently practices in an acute care setting with a diverse adult inpatient population. Her current focus is with medically complex co-morbid patients admitted to the general medicine, cardiology and telemetry services. Her nursing expertise includes geriatric medicine in long term care settings, acute care Hematology-Oncology-Bone Marrow Transplant with pediatric and adult populations, and high risk Labor & Delivery including, triage, preterm management, OR, PACU the medically complex pregnant patient, and perinatal bereavement. She has extensive experience in nursing supervision and management roles, as well as general and advanced practice nursing education, orientation and mentorship. As the Nurse Practitioner Association of Long Island (NPALI) current President, and former chairperson for public relations, she has spearheaded a public awareness campaign to educate the public and legislative officials regarding the role and function of nurse practitioners.
- • Publication pending in research regarding the crucial gap in education and clinical training for adult (ANP), adult-gerontological (AGNP), and family (FNP) nurse practitioners employed in medicine based, non-ICU, acute care settings, despite focused primary care training. The goal of this research is to achieve an in-depth understanding of the perceptions of these practicing NPs, who are living the experience, with regard to their clinical preparedness for practice, with limited or no advanced practice educational or inpatient clinical hours.
- Author of an Advanced Practice Provider Survival Handbook containing guidelines and clinical pearls for inpatient practice.
- Dean’s Master’s Award for Leadership – Adelphi University School of Nursing, 2008
- New York State Assembly, “Woman Of Distinction” award, 2007
- NS-LIJ Health System – Nursing Center of Excellence Award for Patient, Family and Staff Education, 2006
- NS-LIJ Health System - Nursing Center of Excellence Award in Clinical Practice, 2004
- Eileen M. Jacoby Award, Adelphi University School of Nursing, for senior registered nurse student demonstrating leadership and academic excellence, 2002
- Inducted: Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society of Nursing, Alpha Omega Chapter, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY, 2002
- Nurse Practitioner Association of Long Island (NPALI) – Executive Board of Directors: President (Jan. 2015 - current)
NPALI-Board of Directors: Chairperson for Public Relations (Jun 2010 – Dec 2014)
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 2008
- Nurse Practitioner Association of New York State, Long Island Chapter, 2006
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society of Nursing, Alpha Omega Chapter, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY, 2002
Licensure & Certifications
- NYS - Nurse Practitioner in Adult Health Licensure
- NYS - Registered Professional Nurse Licensure
- Certification: American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Certification: NCC – Electronic Fetal Monitoring (C-EFM) (2007-2012)
- Certificate: Legal Nurse Consultant, Hofstra University, Uniondale, NY (1998)
- OCN (Certification in Oncology Nursing), (1997-2000)