Steven D. Hollander
Associate Professor, Health/Physical Education
B.S., CUNY BrooklynM.S., CUNY BrooklynEd.D., Columbia
Dr. Steve Hollander began his tenure at what was then the C.W. Post Center in September 1973. It was four years later when he received his doctorate in education from Columbia University.
He served as Chairperson of the Department of Health & Physical Education during the 1991 academic year and as Acting Chair for parts of nearly every summer session since then. Dr. Hollander has also served as the Coordinator of Health Education in what is now known as the Department of Health, Physical Education & Movement Science.
Dr. Hollander was a guest speaker/panelist on a number of media events including WHLI AM, WCWP, Ch. 12 Cablevision. The topics centered around his two areas of expertise: Substance Abuse and Abuse and Human Sexuality.
1993 was a banner year: Dr. Hollander received from what was then the School of Education’s Educator of the Year Award and from the University, the David Newton Award for Excellence in Teaching.
Over his forty years, Dr. Hollander has served on numerous University-wide committees, all whose missions were focused on students’ needs:
- Faculty Student Appeals Board;
- University Task Force for Health & Fitness;
- Academic Standing;
- Student Life; and,
- HEOP/MLK Advisory Board
Substance Abuse, Human Sexuality
- Panelist, “Sex Education on Long Island”, Cablevision, Inside Education (1998).
- Presenter, “Sex over 55”, WHLI, AM radio, Health Series, (1993).
- Panelist, “AIDS Education”, Cablevision, Long Island Education Today (1987).
- Presenter/Lecturer. “How to Choose and Use A Physician”, PALL Corp. (1983).
- Lecturer, “Prescription Drugs, Let the Patient Beware”, PALL Corp. Lecture Series (1982).
Educator of the Year, C.W. Post, School of Education, 1993.
David Newton Award for Excellence in Teaching, LIU, C.W. Post, 1993.