Adjunct Professor of Public Relations
B.A. in Communications, Hofstra University
Professor Sherry Goldman has more than 35years experience in public relations and the media. She is president and founder of Goldman Communications Group, Inc., an award-winning public relations/marketing communications agency. The agency, founded in 1996, works for a range of corporate, non-profit, and consumer clients, including the Writers Guild of America East, the Writers Guild Initiative, Municipal Credit Union, LRC Properties, Workmen's Circle, Olsten Health Services, First Brands Corporation, and the International Trademark Association. Her work for the Writers Guild of America East during the 100-day strike of TV and film writers during 2007-2008 earned a Silver Anvil Award for Crisis Communications from the Public Relations Society of America. A case study of her work on behalf of the Writers Guild of America East is featured in the textbook Public Relations Cases (Ninth Edition.)
Prior to founding Goldman Communications Group, she was senior vice president of two of the largest public relations agencies, Ruder Finn and Rowland Worldwide (a division of Saatchi & Saatchi), and started her public relations career at G.S. Schwartz & Company. During her tenure at these agencies, her work and the programs she led earned a Silver Anvil Award for the launch of consumer environmental labeling program Green Seal, a PRSA Award of Excellence for the public sector/private sector environmental marketing Glad Bag-A-Thon program for clients Glad Bags and Keep America Beautiful, and two Take Pride in America Awards from the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Before entering the public relations industry, she worked in the media for many years, holding editorial positions at trade magazine publisher Gralla Publications and in the newsroom at WCBS-TV.
Sherry is an active member of the Public Relations Society of America and is a past chair of its national Honors and Awards Committee and past board director of its New York chapter. She received her BA in Communications from Hofstra University.
Public relations, marketing communications, crisis communications, reputation management, consumer marketing, media, media relations
- Author, Commpro.biz - Bylined article "Crisis 'Insurance' Is About The Plan," - August 2013
- Author, "One for the Money, Two for the Show: Writers Guild of America East Strikes Back With Communications," PR News Case study: May 2009
- Author, "Pencils Down: Making East Coast Writers Voices Heard During the 100-Day Writers Guild Strike,” Public Relations Cases, Ninth Edition.
Lectures and Presentations
- March 2016 - Seminar Panelist - Regional PRSSA Conference, " Corporate Social Responsibility Campaigns and Public Relations for Non-Profits"
- October 2014 - Seminar Leader - Public Relations Society of America International Conference seminar, "Anvil Thinking: Winning the Awards Your Work Deserves"
- November 2013 - Workshop Leader - LIU/Post Open Lunch Series, "Winning The Media Relations War In An Adversarial Media Environment"
- October 2013 - Seminar Leader- Public Relations Society of America International Conference seminar, "Anvil Thinking: Winning The Awards Your Work Deserves" (Seminar is now used as continuing educational webinar at www.prsa.org.)
- November 2009 - Seminar Leader – Public Relations Society of America International Conference seminar, “Anvil Thinking: The Road To Award-Winning Work”
- October 2008 - Seminar Leader – Public Relations Society of America International Conference seminar, “Winning The Public Relations War In An Adversarial Media Environment”
- November 2004 - Guest Lecturer – Hofstra University, “Fundamentals In Public Relations”
- January 2006 - Speaker/Leader – Public Relations Society of America Professional Development Workshop and Teleseminar, “How To Win An Award”
- January 2005 - Speaker/Leader – Public Relations Society of America Professional Development Workshop and Teleseminar, “How To Win An Award”
- October 2004 - Presenter – Public Relations Society of America National Conference seminar, “Getting The Awards and Rewards Your Work Deserves”
- March 2004 - Panelist – C.W. Post, “Public Relations Exploration Forum”
- October 2001 Panelist – Hofstra University, “Communications Career Workshop”
- August 2016 - "Business Breakthroughs" - Featured (and sole) guest on business-focused podcast, "Managing Your Reputation Online and Off Line"
- October 2013 - Public Relations Society of America Webinar, "Anvil Thinking" (Webinar continued to be features as ole training webinar on PRSA.org on this topic.)
- Member, Public Relations Society of America
- Member, Intellectual Capital Exchange
- Member, Women's Power Network
- Advisory Council Member, Herbert School of Communications