Frequently Asked Questions
Who is a Transfer Student?
If you have attended an institution of higher education for any period of time after graduating from high school, you must apply as a transfer.
What is Transfer Transition Day?
During Transfer Advising & Registration Day, you'll discover what LIU Brooklyn has to offer—the services, programs and resources available as you continue your academic journey. As a transfer student, you've had some college experience—as you're getting started with your LIU Brooklyn experience, we'd like to help make your transfer a smooth transition!
Do you accept credits from my college?
LIU Brooklyn grants credit for courses you successfully completed at other accredited institutions. Please contact the Office of Admission at 1-800-LIU-PLAN or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I need to submit high school information?
Transfer applicants who have completed fewer than 60 credits must submit their high school transcript to the Office of Admissions – 1 University Plaza, Brooklyn NY 11201.
Are transfer students eligible for financial aid?
Transfer students can apply for federal aid by visiting www.fafsa.ed.gov and filling out the financial aid application for the proper year. You will have to switch your current school code to the LIU Brooklyn school code 002751. Call 718-488-1037 at any time to check your financial aid status.
When can I find out how many credits will transfer over?
Students go through a credit evaluation after being accepted to the University. Admissions will evaluate the credits and will determine which courses can be applied to your degree. You will then receive a Transfer Credit Evaluation that will outline which credits transferred over to LIU Brooklyn.
Where can I find course descriptions and pre-requisites?
View our list of undergraduate programs. Click on the program that you're interested in, everything is listed according to major.
What transcripts do I have to provide?
You must provide a transcript from every institution you've attended. If you have less than 60 college credits, we would need your official high school transcript, with your graduation date posted.
Do I get an iPad as a transfer student?
Yes, once you have attended Transfer Advising & Registration Day, follow the steps below to receive your student iPad:
- Confirm your registration (must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits)
- Complete the financial aid process (have you received your financial aid packaged?)
- Finalize your tuition payment with the Office of Intergraded Student Financial Services (must make first payment)
- Submit your vaccination records to University Health & Medical Services
- Forward your official, final transcripts to the Office of Admissions
- Once you have completed the above, visit the Center for Student Information, it.liu.edu/CSI to schedule an appointment to pick up your iPad.
- Bring your financial clearance & LIU ID