The nursing program at Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus was established in 1955. The curriculum was designed for graduates of approved diploma schools of nursing who were practicing nurses and who wanted to earn a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in nursing.
At that time, nursing was a department in one of the divisions of the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences (now Conolly College). The original program for registered nurses was gradually phased out when a generic baccalaureate program, preparing students for the professional practice of nursing was inaugurated in 1963. Nursing continued as a department in a division of Conolly College until 1983, when it became a division in the newly established School of Health Professions.
The present School of Nursing was created in 1990. It is approved by the New York State Education Department and is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. In addition to a generic baccalaureate in nursing and a RN-BS completion program, the School offers master’s of science nursing programs for adult, family and gerontological nurse practitioners and nurse executives. The graduate programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Today, approximately 92% of the School’s students are members of racial or ethnic minorities and nearly 10% are men.
The School unveiled the Harriet Rothkopf Heilbrunn B’32 Academic Nursing Center. The only university-based academic nursing center in Brooklyn, it is located in the Campus’ state-of-the-art, $45 million Wellness, Recreation and Athletic Center. The facility offers residents of the surrounding community screening services for heart disease and stroke, as well as intervention programs for asthma, hypertension and lead poisoning, while providing experiential learning opportunities for nursing students.
Picture identification: Early graduates of the Brooklyn Campus Nursing Program