Salary and Benefits
In the first year of the program, Apprentices receive a stipend of $22,500 and benefits through the New York City Department of Education. Apprentices are considered full-time students and eligible for financial aid through Long Island University. In the second year of the program, newly inducted I-START teachers receive the same competitive salary and benefits as NYC Department of Education teachers. The first-year teacher salaries in NYC start at $45,530.
The NYC Department of Education subsidizes most of the cost of tuition. I-START program participants are responsible for $ 6,600 of cost of the program tuition, and Long Island University subsidizes the remaining tuition cost. Starting in the second year of the program (when earning a full teacher’s salary), tuition is deducted from participant paychecks in bi-monthly installments until the full $6,600 is deducted. Program participants are responsible for books and the costs for certification exams.
Program participants commit to full participation in the I-START Program and to four years of teaching in New York City Public Schools after the successful completion of the first year of the program.
Our initial screening is conducted through the NYC Teaching Fellows. Thus, our eligibility requirements are the same as the NYC Teaching Fellows requirements. For eligibility requirements please click here.
Benefits of Joining the Program:
- Learning an effective model for ELL instruction in a supportive school and university environment
- Peer support, collaboration, and shared experiences with a cohort of learners
- A Master’s degree in TESOL from Long Island University
- Eligibility for New York State Teacher Certification
- Clinical experience with experienced mentor teachers
- Stipend and full set of benefits the first year, NYC teacher salary and full health benefits the second year
- Tuition reduction (apprentices are only responsible for $6,600 of their tuition)