This program leads to New York State certification in one of the following:
- Childhood (1-6) with optional extensions of 6 - 7 credits in Bilingual Education or Middle Childhood (7-9)
- Adolescence (7-12) or Middle Childhood/Adolescence (5 - 12), with optional extension in Bilingual Education
- Art Education (K-12)
The Program is designed to do three things:
- Support the academic learning of paraprofessionals – specifically their language and literacy
- Develop in paraprofessionals a teaching identity that supports the observation and description of children
- Integrate paraprofessionals into the community of teacher educators at Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus
Eligibility and Criteria
To be admitted to Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus Paraprofessional Program candidates need to meet the following criteria:
- Have successfully completed 50 credits of undergraduate education, with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Be employed in a neighboring Brooklyn school district, specifically in Districts 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 32.
For more information contact :
Student Enrollment and Outreach Officer
Please visit the paraprofessionals section of this Web site for more information.