To be admitted into this program you must:
- Have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Have a 2.75 minimum undergraduate GPA
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- Submit a statement of professional goals
- Applicants with educational credential from non-English-speaking countries are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Students who have not passed the Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST) of the NYS Teacher Certification Exam and do not have prior teaching certification are also required to take the TAL Department Assessment, a measure of writing skill, upon admission and before registration. Students who do not achieve a passing score (Level 3) on the assessment must enroll in TAL 088 Textual Strategies for Educators, a non-credit course to develop reading and writing skills at the graduate level, during the first semester. They are also required to meet with the Director of Academic Support Services early in the semester to discuss the results of the assessment. In addition, students scoring at Level 1 are limited to 3 credits in the first semester; students scoring at Level 2 are limited to 6 credits.