To graduate with a major in Teaching and Learning students must have:
- Completion of all program requirements with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Review of final project
- Review of student’s collection of work
- Review of student’s practice in student teaching, internship, or practicum
To graduate from the Certification Track, students must also:
- Pass the LAST and ATS-W (Assessment of Teaching Skills - Written)
- Fulfill NYS general education and content area requirements
- Complete state-mandated training in child abuse identification and reporting, violence prevention, fire safety, substance abuse prevention, and abduction prevention.
Students who do not meet the criteria for graduation from the Certification Track will graduate from the Non-Certification Track.
All TLL graduate certification-track programs fulfill the academic requirements for the following certificates:
- Initial Certification, for students with less than 3 years of experience in the certification area.
- Professional Certification, for students with a year of mentored teaching and two years of teaching experience in the certification area.
To obtain initial or professional certification, students must:
- fulfill all requirements for graduation from a certification track program, including:
- completion of student teaching, internship, and/or practicum requirements
- passing scores on the LAST and ATS-W
- completion of state-mandated training in child abuse identification and reporting, school violence prevention, fire safety, substance abuse prevention, and abduction prevention.
- be a U.S. citizen or sign a Declaration of Intent
- pass the Content Specialty Test (CST) in the certification area
- for students seeking the Bilingual Education Extension: pass the Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA) in the target language of instruction
The SOE Certification Officer helps students apply for certification when all requirements are met. Students interested in Internship Certification before graduation should consult the Certification Officer.