Application Process for Transfer Students
All applicants can submit their application for admissions while they are in the final stage of the completion of their prerequisite courses. All prerequisites must be completed prior to entering the professional phase of the program. We encourage students to meet with faculty members and administrators in the Department of Occupational Therapy to prepare their application and to make sure that prerequisites are completed.
The Department of Occupational Therapy accepts transfer students with or without a degree. Transfer students need to apply to the program via:
The OTCAS system: www.otcas.org.
Application Deadline: January 12, 2015
Long Island University uses the Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service (OTCAS).
Please visit https://portal.otcas.org/ to create your OTCAS account.
All official transcripts should be sent directly to OTCAS:
Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service (OTCAS)
P.O. Box 9120
Watertown, MA 02471
Where to Send Your Application:
OTCAS must receive the application, references, and transcripts well before January 12, 2015 in order to be VERIFIED by January 12, 2015. Once your application is complete, OTCAS will verify your documents before releasing them to Long Island University. Please note that Long Island University cannot access unverified applications. Applicants should confirm their status as verified with OTCAS.
- For any questions about the receipt, processing, and verification of your application, please contact OTCAS Customer Service at 617-612-2860, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For other questions, please contact the Long Island University OT Office at bkln-OT@liu.edu or 718-780-4508.
· OTCAS does not accept GRE scores at this time.
· OTCAS does not accept paper references. Letters of recommendation are submitted electronically through the OTCAS system.
You do not need any additional applications or documents other than what the OTCAS requires. Please follow the directions that the OTCAS system provides and complete their on-line application. Our department has direct access to those records.
Please note, only verified OTCAS applications can be considered for interviews. Please allow 2-6 weeks (depending on time of year) for OTCAS and the respective institutions to send/review/verify your transcripts once they are received. In other words, applications need to be VERIFED by January 12, 2015 in order to have priority consideration. Any applications verified after the January 12th application deadline will be reviewed once all other applications have been reviewed and class seating permits.
Students are required to provide the following items when submitting their application or your application cannot be processed
3 letters of recommendation
- Your application will not be considered complete until all three reference letters are on file with OTCAS by the deadline.
- We REQUEST that letters of recommendation be completed by people who know you well—for example, college professors, academic counselors, and/or employers and by at least one occupational therapist.
- In your personal statement explain your career goals, your interest in occupational therapy, past work/volunteer experience that is relevant, and if there is a specialized area of occupational therapy that interests you most. You may also wish to describe your experience with illness and disability—whether the experience is your own or that of a family member or close friend.
- Verification of a minimum of 50 hours of volunteer work with a licensed occupational therapist. Candidates need to submit a letter from the occupational therapist or the facility confirming their volunteer work. Mailed to the department.
Long Island University
1 University Plaza, Pratt 2nd floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Attention: Department of Occupational Therapy
Due the competitive nature of the program unfortunately only eligible students will be invited for an interview. The following criteria will be considered to determine eligibility for an interview:
· Meeting application deadline with a Verified Application
· Cumulative GPA as well as Science GPA
· Volunteer experience and extracurricular activities
· Writing competency (personal statement, curriculum vitae)
· Letters of recommendation
For more information or for questions regarding the LIU Occupational Therapy Program please email bkln-OT@liu.edu