Admission Requirements & Procedures
High school graduates may apply as Pre-Athletic Training candidates. This simplified application process is based on academic performance, i.e., a high school grade-point average of 80 and above.
Pre-Athletic Training Candidacy
Pre-Athletic Training candidates can attend the Brooklyn Campus on a part- or a full-time basis, completing their courses in the Pre-Professional Phase of the program. Students have at least two years to explore their career choice, complete the required athletic training volunteer experience, demonstrate their academic ability and complete their prerequisite work. At the end of their Pre-Professional course of study, students apply for progression into the Professional Phase of the program. Admission to the Professional Phase is both competitive and selective. A limited number of students will be admitted annually. Enrollment in the Pre-Professional Phase and meeting minimum application criteria does not by itself guarantee entrance into the Professional Phase of study.
Application to the Professional Phase
All Pre-Athletic Training candidates, Long Island University students and transfer applicants seeking admission to the program’s professional phase must:
- Have a cumulative college grade-point average of at least 2.75 or better
- Have satisfactorily completed all prerequisite work
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (Grades more than 10 years old cannot be accepted)
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals involved in the field of athletic training
- Submit a completed Athletic Training and Sports Sciences program application
- Have completed a minimum of 80 hours of volunteer work experience under the supervision of a certified athletic trainer
- Be able to successfully demonstrate clinical proficiencies from prerequisite courses (Pass/Fail with 1 retest)
- Meet the technical standards of the program (see Technical Standards below)
Transfer Student Policy
Students from other colleges and universities who satisfy the Pre-Athletic Training candidacy requirements may apply for admission to the Professional Phase of the B.S./M.S. degree program. However, the student must first be accepted to Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus as an undergraduate transfer student through the Office of Admissions application process. Once Admissions accepts the student, the application to the Professional Phase will then be evaluated. At this time, students may petition the program for acceptance of the following Professional Phase courses from their previous institution: SPS 151, 156, 150, 152, 154, 148, 180, 189. No other Professional Phase SPS or HS courses are eligible for transfer.
Not only will students need to provide proof of a grade of C or better in the course, but they also must demonstrate 85% of competencies and proficiencies (oral and written) designated for the courses. The competency and proficiency list is available in several Division offices at the student’s request.
Please see the Athletic Training Student Handbook for more information, which also is available from the ATEP offices.
You can view and read the Athletic Training Student Handbook in PDF format by installing Acrobat Reader if you do not already have it on your computer. It's free. Just click the Acrobat Link below and follow the instructions.