Resources & Facilities
6 Teaching labs, ~1500 square feet each, undergoing renovation
12 Research labs, between 600 and 1000 square feet, renovated within the last 10 years.
The following major instruments are held in common in M 704. All faculty and students may use any instrument after proper training. In addition, general chemistry labs fully utilize the Vernier, Inc. Labpro computerized data system.
In addition to the above major equipment, the department has a wide range of standard equipment for chemical analysis, including: Beckman L5-50B ultracentrifuge; Damon/IEC refrigerated centrifuge; Denver microcentrifuge; Aminco-Morrow stopped flow spectrophotometer; electrophoresis equipment, polarimeter, analytical balances, vacuum drying ovens, vacuum lines, tensiometer, pH meters, etc.
- Cirros ICP – ion coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometer-quantitatively identifies up to 25 elements simultaneously with parts per billion accuracy
- Varian Inova 400 MHz NMR-3 channel nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer capable of performing 1 or 2 dimensional spectroscopy experiments on multiple nuclei, solid sample MAS probe
- Nicolet Impact 700 FTIR – Infrared spectrometer with capabilities in the near, mid and far IR region down to a wavelength of 25cm-1
- Photon Technology Inc. Fluorescence Spectrometer – Excitation and emission scanning, phosphorescent lifetime measurements
- Perkin Elmer Lambda 25 – Dual-path Ultra-violet/Visible spectrometer capable of wavelentght and time scans
- Varian 450GC/220MS – Quadrapole gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer, time-of-flight and mass-mass detection to 600 daltons
- Agilent 1200 series HPLC – High pressure liquid chromatography system with Ultra-violet, refractive index and electrochemical detectors
- Hewlett Packard 1050 HPLC- High pressure liquid chromatography system with diode array detector
- Varian CP3800 Gas Chromatograph – Thermal conductivity and electrochemical detectors
- Perkin Elmer AutoSystem Gas Chromatograph – Thermal conductivity and nitrogen/phosphorous detection
- Scintag X-1 X-ray Diffractometer – Theta-theta and rocking curves, low angle scanning
- Lakeshore Cryotronics VSM – Vibrating sample magnetometer detects bulk magnetization, coercivity and remnance in static or scanning mode, 4K to 1000K temperature range
- Perkin Elmer TGA-7 – Thermogravimetirc analyzer
- Perkin Elmer DSC-7 – Differential scanning calorimeter
- Perkin Elmer DTA-7 – Differential thermal analyzer
- EG&G PAR Polarographic Analyzer/Voltammeter, Model 264A with Mercury Electrode Stand