Professor Emeritus of Accounting
B.B.A., Baruch CollegeM.B.A., New York University
Professor Philip Wolitzer has been associated with the School of Business, Public Administration and Information Sciences at Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus for over 60 years. In 1998, the University honored him by dedicating a portion of the Humanities Building as the Philip Wolitzer Complex.
He has been a financial consultant to many businesses and has been actively involved in the Foundation for Accounting Education and The New York State CPA Society, where he has served on the board of directors and the executive committee, and as secretary and vice president of the organization.
Professor Wolitzer has earned many honors, including the Outstanding CPA in Education Award and the 1990 Distinguished Service Award of the New York State CPA Society, and has been elected to their Hall of Fame. He was named Accountant of the Year by the Accounting Society of Adelphi University in 1971, and in the same year, was named an Outstanding Educator of America.
In November 2007, the Accountants Club of America presented him with its Lifetime Professional Achievement Award, and in May 2008, Long Island University honored him with the Chancellor’s Award for Distinguished Service at commencement.
Financial Statement Presentation, Forensics, Cost Accounting, Financial Analysis, Ethics
- Author, “Ethics as a Value Added Service,” published in The CPA Journal (2001)
- Author, “Serious Action Requires Serious Thought,” published in The CPA Journal (2002)
- Author, “Reviving the Profession,” published in The CPA Journal (2003)
- Author, “Organizing your Financial Ratios Analysis Using PALMS,” published in the Proceeding of the 54th Midwest Finance Association (2005)
- Author, “Some Entrepreneurship Pitfalls,” published in the New England Journal of Entrepreneurship
- Recipient, Outstanding CPA in Education Award
- Distinguished Service Award, the New York CPA Society
- Accountant of the Year, the Accounting Society of Adelphi University
- Outstanding Educator of America
- Hall of Fame, New York State Society of CPAs
- Lifetime Professional Achievement Award, Accountants Club of America
- Chancellors Award for Distinguished Service, Long Island University
- In 1998, the University honored him by dedicating a portion of the Humanities Building as the Philip Wolitzer Complex.
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA)
- Member, American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
- Member, Accountants Club of America (ACA)
- Member, American Accounting Association (AAA)