Computer Literacy Requirement
Computer Literacy Graduation Requirement
All undergraduate students admitted to the Brooklyn Campus are required to demonstrate basic computer skills in each of the following areas prior to graduation: (1) MS Windows, (2) MS Word, and (3) Internet /e-mail skills.
As a pilot, LIU Brooklyn is also testing information literacy competencies. Scores on these questions are for informational purposes only, which will be forwarded to the Library.
You have several choices and can satisfy the requirement through one of the three options:
- By passing all three sections of the Computer Literacy Exam (CLE) listed below, with a 70% or higher.
- By passing all three designated Computer Sciences courses listed below, with a C+ or higher.
- By combining options 1 and 2. A student may substitute a passing grade of C+ or higher in the designated Computer Sciences course(s) for the corresponding section(s) of the CLE.
Exemption from requirement
|Designated Computer Sciences Course
||Corresponding CLE section
|CS-9 (Introduction to Windows Environment)
|CS-9A (Word Processing)
|CS-9H (Internet WWW)
- If you already have an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree from another accredited institution, you are exempt from the core curriculum computer literacy requirement. You must contact Testing Center to request this exemption.
- If you are a transfer student, you can also meet all or part of this requirement if you receive appropriate transfer credit from the Office of Admissions.
The CLE is administered by the Testing Center. Please drop in to see us in LLC Building, 4th floor, or call us at 718-488-1392. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have. We are here to help you reach your goals!