Applicants to the Master of Science in Education/Literacy program must meet the following requirements for admission.
- Application for Admission (online or PDF)
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended in a seal envelope.
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 2.5 overall and 2.75 in major grade point average or equivalent in an accredited bachelor’s program. Applicants must hold provisional or initial teaching certificate. Students who do not meet these requirements are welcome to discuss their options for admissions with the graduate advisor.
- Applicants must submit a photocopy of their New York State initial teaching certification.
- If you hold a degree from outside the United States your official records of all post-secondary education must be translated by an approved organization such as World Education Services (WES). You may purchase this translation by contacting WES, www.wes.org or telephone at 1-800-937-3895. Request a course-by-course translation with conversion of all grades into a U.S.4- point scale with U.S. degree equivalencies. This translation must be received by the Office of Admissions in an envelope sealed by WES.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all applicants whose native language is not English. The TOEFL or IELTS is generally not required of candidates who have studied for at least two years at an accredited high school or post-secondary institution where English is the only method of instruction, unless there is a need for additional evidence of proficiency in English upon review of other academic credentials. The minimum TOEFL score for admission: 79 Internet-based score (197 computer based, 527 paper-based score) or minimum IELTS score for admission: 6.0 (effective Spring 2012)
Send application materials to:
100 Second Avenue
Brentwood, N.Y. 11717