Nearly $900,000 Raised at LIU 2014 Gala for Students and Programs
Sarah DeCamp,Associate Director of Public Relations
Long Island University
More than 300 people attended the LIU 2014 Gala, held on June 12, at the elegant Waldorf Astoria Starlight Roof in New York City, raising nearly $900,000 for students and programs at the university. The gala honored Bruce Ratner, executive chairman of Forest City Ratner Companies, and Mary M. Lai, LIU treasurer emerita, for their contributions to the LIU community and for providing inspiration to students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
LIU’s inaugural gala was chaired by Eric Krasnoff, former chairman and CEO of Pall Corporation, and chairman of the Board of Trustees of LIU, and Brett Yormark, CEO of the Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center. Numerous benefactors and donors supported the gala, including lead gifts from:
- Mary M. Lai, LIU treasurer emerita
- Capital One Bank
- Leon Lachman, founder and chairman, Lachman Consultant Services
- Eugene Lutney (H’98), former chairman of Brooklyn Union Gas, past chairman of LIU Board of Trustees
- Blackboard, Inc.
- Douglas Catalano, partner, Norton, Rose and Fulbright
- Daniel Fisher (’67), owner, Fisher Brothers Manufacturing and R& D Jewelers, trustee, LIU
- Eric Krasnoff, retired chairman and CEO, Pall Corp., Chairman of the Board of Trustees, LIU
- Owen Smith, professor emeritus, finance, LIU Post
- TD Bank and Ed Travaglianti, president, TD Bank Long Island, trustee, LIU
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Barclays Center, and Brett Yormack, CEO, Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center
“I continue to be impressed by the dedication of our faculty and staff, the commitment of our Board of Trustees, and the determination and talent of our students,” said Dr. Kimberly R. Cline, president, LIU. “LIU is setting forward new traditions to support programs and initiatives that ensure the university stands for access and excellence. We thank our many supporters for their generosity.”
The university also announced a new initiative, the LIU Scholarship Challenge, in honor of Mary M. Lai and Bruce Ratner, to ensure students have the right tools and guidance to achieve their goals. The support of alumni and friends will allow many talented students to be able to attend LIU. To support the Scholarship Challenge, visit: community.liu.edu/LIUGalaScholarshipChallenge.
To view photos from the LIU 2014 Gala, visit: http://webapps2.liu.edu/gala/gallery.html.
Return to Press Releases