John P. McGrath was more than a prominent lawyer, banker and real estate developer. He was a dedicated philanthropist whose vision and courage helped to shape the face of New York City and the spirit of Long Island University. Mr. McGrath was an active member of the Long Island University Board of Trustees for more than 40 years, serving as chairman from 1967 to 1974. He spearheaded the establishment of the University's C.W. Post Campus in Brookville in 1954 and its eastward expansion to Southampton in 1963. He valued all that education could do for an individual and cared enough to make a difference for Long Island University.
The John P. McGrath Fund serves to support and encourage the invitation of outstanding speakers and visitors to Long Island University for academic presentations. The maximum award per event is $600 to underwrite the speaker’s honorarium. Please find the application and guidelines at liushare.liu.edu under Academic Affairs.